Saturday, January 24, 2009

Updates

Updates
[24 Jan 2009, 02:35:32 PM]
I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I have been out of action most of the time, mainly due to fatigue, headache and nauseating. I still want to blog down what I went through so that the records would be of some benefit to people who are going through similar situation as me.


Anyway, I went to collect the PET scan results on the same day I went to see the colorectal surgical oncologist. From the scan, there was a new lesion which previously didn't show up on the CT scan. To cut the long story short, I would not be going for any surgery at this juncture and would continue with chemotherapy. Saw Dr Chia on Tuesday, the last before he leaves for the States. The good news was that my cancer marker was stable at 62. I asked to change back to oxaliplation (instead of cisplatin) as I had bad side effects which made me miserable. Before I left the clinic, I said to him, "Dr Chia, I didn't get you anything, except this thank-you card." (It was a simple card from Precious Moments.)


He was slightly taken aback, and gave me a hug. He almost made me tear at that moment. I am grateful and thankful for doctors like him.


I was updating Liz and Ser on my progress during breakfast. I asked if there was anything I could leave them as remembrance. Liz was sobbing and Ser's eyes went teary red. I was fighting very hard to hold back my tears. I had to put it in a lighter way so that we could continue our morning routine.


I have decided to start writing some "farewell" and thank-you notes to my very big group of supporters and of course my loved ones (provided I could still think coherently and write properly). I think my body is showing signs of fatigue from the prolonged chemo treatments. I might look "normal" but the energy level was only at best 40%. There are good days and bad days and really down times. It was unpredictable.


As always, I like to inject some humour in my talk about death. I reminded Shuai Ge not to put my best and most expensive jewelry when I die. "Don't later burn already all turn into ashes. Pass them down hor." I have decided to get a niche near to where we are staying. Shuai Ge said, "Oh good. Can go and talk to you everyday!"



Dates: Cycle 5
treatments on 2 and 9 Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment