regime #7 stopped
[24 Feb 2009, 06:16:49 PM] Saw the Chinese physician on 6th Feb.
Went to Dr See's clinic on 7th Feb (after receiving a call as I forgot about it).
Did a heart echo on the same day. Heart functions were normal. Put on anti-hypertension medication as my blood pressure is still high. Forgot to bring cardigan out that day and was freezing cold in the clinics.
Cycle 5b was re-scheduled to 17th Feb, but I was supposed to see Dr Wong, my new onco, on 19th. Both were too close. I approached the friendly and helpful staff to ask if it was alright to ask Dr Wong about the chemo and her appointment being so close apart. Meanwhile, I had to re-schedule my appointment with the liver specialist, which was also on the 17th. The clinic only reverted a few days later and told me not to go for cycle 5b on 17th, but instead keep the appointment with Dr Wong.
Well, my platelet count is back up from a low of 81 to 173, after drinking peanut soup and "black dates plus other stuff" water. The low count triggered the alarm bells and "Shuai Ge" almost called everyone he knows or has one way or other plays a part in my treatment. I co-operated by drinking whatever he bought to boost my platelet count. He was worried because WZ is still having problem boosting hers, and did not want the same for me. Good thing mine managed to climb back to within range again. Phew!
Whilst the platelet count and other blood count were within normal range, the marker doubled (132). Dr Wong reckoned that the current regime is no longer working for me and suggested not to proceed. I opted for a week's rest and to mull over the next regime. She listed the options, which are the same as what Dr See mentioned before. It's quite scary to think I have already tried so many drugs and have yet to find one combo that will keep the naughty cells at bay. Now I am having drug-related side effects, like high blood pressure. I would be lying if I tell you I'm not frightened. But as the good doctor said, "Let's treat you and not the number."
I will be seeing Dr Wong again this Thursday. Hopefully by then we would be able to reach a decision: either the one painful on the pocket, kinder to my veins or the one not as painful on the pocket but torturing on my veins. Or best, rest some more and it will be not painful on the pocket yet and resting for the veins. Hahaha!
Oh, I met Fleur (as Dr Wong is her onco too) last Thursday. Just that I didn't expect it to be so soon, especially on my first appointment with Dr Wong. Now you know why I blog my appointments. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment