Wednesday, October 29, 2008

regime#7, cycle 1a, day 6

cycle 1a, day 6
[29 Oct 2008, 02:35:26 PM]
I requested for the morning glory suite and was given that for this cycle. I was glad to be attended to by Imelda, who is really great with the plugging. She made me comfortable by getting the blanket ready, making sure I was warm. She forewarned me when she was about to administer the pre-med, one of which gave me this "needles pricking" sensation at the butt. After the drug gemzar started to flow, she got me a hot pack to be put on my arm. The "burning sensation" was familiar and I almost wanted to pull out the plug. Grrrrrr. Then when oxaliplatin was going in, I felt cold. Brrrrrr. Hot then cold. What a combo!


I measure a nurse's competence in plugging needles by how much (or little) pain when she sets the plug in and if there is any bruise (aka "blue-black") after the plug is removed. There is a certain angle of plugging in where the pain is minimal and how straight one pulls the arm (to straighten the veins) to plug in. I must clarify I am not a trained nurse or have any knowledge of such. I only have the practical experience and going through countless pokings to derive those observations. So far, I had encountered two nurses who gave me totally painless plugs. Incredible I tell you.


I felt very tired after day one and have been feeling such since. One of the side effects of gemzar is constipation. I am also seeing some hair loss and feeling rather hot, perspiring incessantly.


Not wanting to be defeated by the side effects, we went to consult the Chinese physician yesterday. His prescription of herbs three years ago was of great help. Yes, I like my "yi shi" too. He complimented my oncologists for taking such good care of me all these years. I totally understand why he only gives consultation and does not dispense medication.


LX called me on Monday to share a joke. She made me laugh so much and chased the moodiness away. Joyce called me this morning as I have not been to her place for quite awhile. She asked if I have any food cravings so that she could buy them. No, I don't. I just want to rest and fast forward my life to the last cycle of this regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment