cycle 2a, day1
[14 Nov 2008, 08:17:17 PM] We were abit shocked by the almost double in readings. Dr Chia suggested adding avastin in today's cycle as previously planned. I agreed. He was really understanding, as that would mean additional costs for us. He doesn't want us to exhaust ourselves and not being able to continue the marathon fight. He was hoping to see my condition stabilised first before going away. I was really touched by his concern and thoughts, and a kind gesture. We were still recovering from the shock when I went to get my queue number from the clinic. Since it was going to be more than two hours wait, we rang Dr See's clinic to see if it was possible to drop by. (Dr Chia also suggested that.)
On my way there, "Shuai Ge" and I discussed about the latest readings. It was unexpected as the last treatment with gemzar and carboplatin/cisplatin in 2005 brought my readings down to single digit. I don't know if my cancer cells have become more resistant. We discussed and decided there were some questions we wanted to ask: At what point would we consider the gemox regime as ineffective and to change cocktail? What are the options then? Do I need to do another CT scan (as Dr Chia suggested)? We are seeing a rising trend of CA125, how many more rises do we then change regime?
Dr See answered our questions and shed light on my options and action plan. We were alot calmer and settled after the consultation.
Back at the clinic, it was really packed. Waited almost two hours before my number flashed. There were three Filipina nurses and only one local nurse in the room I was in. Apparently they were short-handed and held back by a meeting. The Filipina nurse Cherise did the plug for me (pain factor 7). The plug looked like a centipede (I took a pciture of it) because of the three cocktail drugs plus two liquids sequentially entering my body. Learnt something new today. Oxaliplatin is not compatible with normal saline and must be flushed with G5. And for flushing avastin, normal saline is used. That explains the two bottles of liquids. Since no nurse was in the room when the machine beeped, I pressed the call bell twice, each time for the two drugs. By the time I finished the treatment, it was already six o'clock. Sleepy, tired and hungry. And moody.
Will be back at the clinic for cycle 2b in a week's time. Let's hope there will be more (gentle and alert) nurses on duty then.
No comments:
Post a Comment